Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Truly Devoted to God & His Work

Meditation from Nehemiah Chapter 5


Through Nehemiah's life we can see the characteristics and priorities of a person whose life is truly committed to the Lord.

1. Redemption : Nehemiah comes to know that the leaders in Jerusalem were oppressing the people & taking interests from them. (5:6-9)
He is angered that the leaders were taking advantage of the people whom he had redeemed.
Because his priority is to redeem the people who are in bondage and not to make money out of them.

2. Rights : As a governor, Nehemiah had the right to enjoy the allotted benefits. But he forego his rights for the sake of the people. (5:14,15)

Am I seeking after my rights, to enjoy or am I sacrificial, for the cause of people? Do I willingly forego my rights or am I upset when I don't receive what rightfully belongs to me?

3. Reward : Nehemiah was devoted to the LORD's work that he did not acquire land for himself. (5:16).
He was not serving to earn property for himself, for he was seeking the eternal not the earthly.

His reward was not the property that he could earn but the eternal reward.
Unless we leave earthly mindedness we cannot inherit the heavenly mind. To leave is to not cling to the earthly possessions or to seek after them.

4. Request (Demand) : So many people were being fed everyday. Yet Nehemiah did not demand even his food allowance. (5:16)
Am I satisfied with what is given or am I demanding? Am I seeing the burdens of people or am I only looking at my requirements?

The life of a person truly devoted to the Lord is no ordinary life; for his or her priorities are not only godly, but God's kingdom and His work centered.
Does your life & priorities exhibit God & God's Work centeredness or self centeredness?

Today's Intercession :
# Pray for the children who are writing the 10th and 12th board exams.
# Pray that they may write without fear and with confidence.
# Pray for their good health and clarity & peace of mind.
# Pray that they may know the living God who holds their future and to be assured in Him.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment